Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Burning Sky: Halcyon, Book One

The Burning Sky by Joseph Robert Lewis is the first novel in the Halcyon Trilogy. And what a fantastic beginning it is! Lewis gives us a well woven story with brilliant characters and non-stop adventure. I found the story so well written and entertaining that I flew through it and was surprised when I came to the end...and dismayed as I want the next novel immediately!

The story is described as a historical fantasy, but I would describe it more as an alternative steampunk history with the steampunk element a maybe. Whatever you may call it, you will be entranced with The Other World.

The central character, Taziri, is an airship engineer and pilot until the fleet is destroyed and most of the Air Corps killed. It is up to Taziri to chase down the killers through the horrors of mad doctors and ruthless assassins.

There is a detailed appendix at the end of the book along with a preview of the next book in the series, The Broken Sword: Halcyon, Book Two.

There are too many elements in The Burning Sky to tell here without giving up plot details and I don't do that.

I recommend you read this book as soon as possible. You'll be glad you did and will then be waiting for the next installment along with the rest of us.

No comments: